Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The Swarm

Up this morning on the early side for the first time in what seems like weeks, am working my way through my morning routine at a normal pace: feed cats, meditate while coffee brews, stretch, sit-ups, push-ups, read and drink coffee, read and drink coffee and eat breakfast... Was about to check email etc, but I know if I do that before I blog all is lost, because my brain is quickly overcome with the swarm of thoughts about other things that need to be done: tasks, scheduling, follow up, nudging this person and that person to do this and that, checking to see if x and y had been done...

Yesterday I reached down deep and pushed through the Economist's survey of Japan. I try to read as many of the long surveys as I can, because they really abide by the ethos of the slowing perspective of the world that is ultimately so fruitful. The most important theme of the piece is that Japan with its aging population, extraordinary debt load and long struggle with deflation, is more a harbinger of things to come for the globe than an outlier. And that Japan is doing better in many regards than people give it credit for, especially in its resiliency planning for the wide range of natural disasters to which it is subject (first and foremost earthquakes and tsunamis but also the odd hurricane) but also in keeping its aging population healthy and engaged.

In any case, the world keeps on turning. Graham continues to crank out essays. Natalie has almost confirmed her booking on a 6am flight out to California to see Stuart in 10 days or so. At first I was surprised that she was going so soon but then I realized that by the time she left she would have spent almost three weeks with us, which is plenty of a nuclear family for most people, and certainly for a healthy 21-year old figuring out her own path in life. Graham's passport arrived back from the passport agency so we've got all the documentation we need if we decide to travel abroad next summer, if the world is willing to have us.  

No comments: