Monday, December 20, 2021

Names on gravestones

I had in the past mentioned the very old-school Italian names on the gravestones here near Rob and George's house. Today near dusk we went for a walk in the graveyard. We hadn't gone 10 steps before Mary took out her danged phone and started taking pictures of this and that. I ended up walking alone. 

I myself took some pictures of gravestones so I could remember the most distinctive of them:

Ermelinda
Concetta
Severio
Angelarossa
Avrora
Righetta
Giacomo
Gennaro
Filomena
Nastesia

For the most part it's the women's names that stand out, most likely because we get exposed to a lot of the distinctive men's names via mob movies (though few of us know, say, a "Pasquale" in real life. But not the women's. They are terra incognita.

Earlier in the day I had been at a killer Italian deli where I snagged us sandwiches of pork loin with broccolini; soppressata, arugula and shaved pecorino; that kind of thing. The fruits of the Northeast.

Natalie wants to watch TV. Gotta hop.

No comments: