Monday, May 20, 2024

The Holdovers

We matched The Holdovers over the weekend. I guess I hadn't read many reviews because I thought it was going to be a light-hearted comedy, a lark. And in truth, there are money moments of mirth to be had in it, but it is nonetheless a serious film. Turns out it had stuck in my mind over so much of the other dreck that barely rises up to my attention because it had been nominated for a number of Oscars and had even won one.

I'm not sure the movie was all that good, in fact I'm pretty sure it wasn't. But it was a very rare attempt to be an earnest and entirely character-focused film, a total throwback to the 70s in which it is set. For this reason alone The Holdovers deserves some kind of prize, despite the entirely syllogistic progress of its plot.

And yeah, they did a great job with the sets and the cars and the ambience and the performances and characters were solid. I wanted to like the protagonists and in the end I did. I hope the machine makes more such movies and I will try to patronize them.

No comments: