Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The Slim Messiah

I have rotated back to the Old Testament for a little while in my Bible journey. Just read through the Song of Songs which is truly sui generis, it really feels like it doesn't belong in the Bible at all.

Continued on into Isaiah, where I was surprised to see references to the messiah (though not by name, just anticipations of the Lord coming in seemingly human form). Which got me to thinking that this was new, I hadn't seen that before in the Old Testament. So I turned to the back of my New Standard edition of the Bible and looked up "messiah". There really wasn't much there from the Old Testament.

Of course, you Google "how many references to the Messiah in the Old Testament" and there is predictably a wide range of answers, the most interesting of which is how the references that there are anticipate details the messiah's arrival and life and therefore prove the prophetic nature of the whole thing and therefore how true it is... This is precisely the type of rabbit hole I ain't going down.

No comments: