Monday, February 05, 2024

On with the week

On the one hand, nothing particularly special is going on today, though later this week I head to Boca Raton for some internal meetings. In eight years with this firm I've never made the trek down there but it seems appropriate to do so now as we grow and change. 

It was largely a quiet weekend at home, praise the lord. Though I did throw in some minor curveballs. On Sunday I went to the penultimate instance of the Chapel Hill Piano Salon and caught a concert by Sophia Shuya Liu -- a 15-year old from Japan (despite the Chinese last name) who moved to Montreal to study with a master. Apparently she has won some competitions and is very much the real deal (I could easily be fooled). The host has a camera he trains on the pianists' hands and then projects onto a couple of big screens so the audience can watch. It is pretty mesmerizing.

On the one hand, as I have written before, I am generally skeptical of skill and virtuosity as the goals of art. On the other, man, the proverbial 10,000 hours of practice and the attainment of virtuosity do open a lot of doors of possibility.

Last night Mary and I went to the curiously named Pirate Captain up on Franklin to pick up some noodles. I got spicy Karaage (Japanese fried chicken, mmmmm) Udon and, most likely unadvisedly, ate the whole thing. I tend to do that when I get take out when I really shouldn't because I was pretty full before I went for the second round. A stupid habit. But that place makes some good noodles. I do hope it survives.

No comments: