Tuesday, February 06, 2024

On slowness and method

Nine days after I got back from the Rockies and my right ear have still not resolved from the pressurization they got first coming down out of the hills and then from flying home. To be sure, it's less bad than it was, but it wasn't fixed. Eventually I reached out to my doctor and she recommended I try an over the counter thing, more or less what Dr Internet had suggested but I really try not to listen to him much. Also, there are itchy rashes on my legs where the ski boots hit, though Z pointed out that I probably hadn't been paying enough attention to keeping my socks hiked up.

The key thing is that though each of these is a nuisance, neither one of them is really slowing me down, let alone killing me. Therein lies one of the most important things I have learned over the many decades here on the planet, if it doesn't kill you, it's not fatal. Keep going, pushing and adjusting.

I have been trying to imbue Graham with this sensibility around his search for an internship this upcoming summer. I know how hard it is to balance many projects in life, school, social life, looking for a career. I didn't do any of this shit when I was in college and, to be sure, I turned out fine (or so I'm told), but doing a little bit of career exploration also wouldn't have killed me and might even have enhanced the college experience. Or maybe not. At any case, I am having weekly check ins with Graham centered around a spreadsheet of internship ops, so I have the pleasure of seeing his face and hearing his voice weekly. Maybe that's cheating. So shoot me. 

No comments: