Saturday, March 02, 2024

Getting ready

Hanging out on the couch in my study preparing for the arrival of two siblings: Leslie is coming to stay with us for a couple of days before going to mom's for a week, while Rob is also arriving with the plan of staying for a month on a trial basis in an apartment across the LFA parking lot from us, in John and Barbara's house, also incidentally the former home of a high school girlfriend, also name Mary. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them.

But I'd be lying if I said that my anticipation of Rob's arrival wasn't mixed with some apprehension. He's gonna be living awful close. Mary and I spend a couple of decades raising our delightful children, who are now mostly launched into the world and thriving (though obviously we're happy to have Graham here at UNC). But we are also happy to be on to enjoying the empty nester phase of life and not having default socialization at any time. So we're gonna have to figure out how to establish some norms and boundaries.

Thankfully Rob eats earlier than us and also goes to bed earlier and also really likes his own space, so this should all work out fine. And I have this couch here to retreat to at any time if he and Mary are riffing out on something some evening when I need to be on my own. Let's just hope the need doesn't become too acute to often.

No comments: