Wednesday, February 21, 2024

A new phase

Yesterday I had a call I knew was coming, but which saddened me greatly nonetheless. An old friend and client who has been battling cancer let me know that her most recent round of chemo had failed to shrink her tumors. She asked her primary oncologist how much time she had to live. He told her maybe a year.

This is a person I love dearly. I began to write out the story of our relationship just now, then stopped. It's too early for that. She has good spirits and energy now and a focus on preparing for her children's future and for living the time she has left in as much joy as she can muster, which I am sure will be not a little.

Since this blog is a bit of a selfish space for me, I won't pretend that this isn't a milestone of sorts for me. It's the first time that someone I am this close to is coming face to face with death in this way. But honestly we are back to that moment at which I arrive almost always when writing the blog. The workday moves forward and I with it. Andiamo. 

No comments: