Thursday, February 22, 2024

Good news, bad news

Went to the dermatologist yesterday for what will, I suppose, be an annual ritual from here on out. On the one hand, unlike last year, they didn't even find any little pre-cancerous doohickeys that they had to zap with a little freeze spray. Apparently they had done so last year. I had forgotten. Once more I've been encouraged to wear sun block more consistently.

On the other hand, I had bad blood pressure readings. I had had a good one when I went to my annual with my general practitioner last month, which caused me to doubt the accuracy of my home blood pressure monitor (which had also been giving bad readings). What this presages, it seems to me, is greater dietary discipline, maybe even cutting back on coffee, less salt, less fat, a higher dose of blood pressure med, all messages I expect to hear from my nephrologist next month. All of this has me a little down.

Mentally of course I remind myself of the good example of my client who has literally been told that cancer will likely kill her in the next year. She has maintained good spirits. Why can't I? 

I'm pretty sure it's just of lot of poor me resentments of feeling like I'm working hard all the time (but not nearly as hard as so many others, like the newcomer to our fair country who delivered the rug Mary ordered to our doorstep this morning at around 7:45 and then hustled back up the stairs to get in his rug and go deliver something else as I was wrapping up round one of morning reading).

Get it in gear, Grouse. Gratitude vs Everything!

No comments: