Saturday, August 13, 2022

The blank canvas

More than ever, the day is a blank canvas, so I need to figure out what to do with it. Most immediately, there is a bike ride in my future. It's hard to say how far I go. Thus far I haven't climbed back to the heights of mileage I reached during the summer of 2020, perhaps today's mild weather will help.

Then there's reading. I am grinding my way slowly through Walter Isaacson's bio of Benjamin Franklin, which frankly isn't as good as his one of Steve Jobs -- which itself wasn't as good as it was made out to be. Basically there's no one who compares to Robert Caro, which tells me that one day I should probably return to the LBJ series, in the middle of which I am still stalled.

But when I get back from my ride I will be returned to the proverbial question of whether I keep going in this one or do I pick up a novel or something else that will offer me dynamism. We shall see. One thing's for sure: no one really cares.

Another certainty is that the Bike Loud! crew is rapidly nearing the end of their ride all the way across North America from Maine to Washington. In a few days they will reach the Pacific. They are doing fine on their biking, but falling a little short on their fundraising, which I view as a failing of the rest of us. If you have a few nickels to spare and could donate here, it would be awesome and would give them a boost of energy.

No comments: