Tuesday, August 16, 2022

An obliging dream

Just before waking, I dreamt that somewhere I ran into Ramsay, son of John, my dad's law school roommate from Duke back in the early 60s. They are both environmentalists up north. Somehow in conversation it turned out that Ramsay was responsible for organizing some sort of wine and cheese and acoustic music thing outside of a Whole Foods down in NC (his parents have a house near Asheville so it's not all that crazy) and somehow I let slip that, oh sure, I can help with that, no problem. And then for the rest of the dream I was bothered trying to figure out who the band would be, what kind of cheese we would serve, would enough people even come? In my half wakened state it occurred to me that even here, in a fricking dream, I was seeing evidence of the extent to which I am an "Obliger" in Gretchen Rubin's taxonomy (see this post).

Then there was another dream section in which Mary and I were in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (go figure) for some reason. I took her downtown to do something and then was trying to wrangle picking up snacks at an emporium down the street when a guy bearing a tray of free samples came up to us on the street corner. There were some sizeable items on there, but I grabbed at a chicken tender that was kind of connected to another one, trying to casually get two for one. Annoyed, the guy reached out and grabbed the attached, smaller one as if to put it back on the tray, then quasi-surreptitiously ate it himself. Bastard. I kind of wished I had snagged one of the crab cakes. Then Mary and I went into some general/department store that was all in one room. They had some nice-looking flannel shirts in fairly traditional patterns, but when I felt them they weren't very soft.

No comments: