Wednesday, August 10, 2022

T minus 6 hours

And so here we are, in the final stages of getting ready to take Graham to UNC tomorrow. Mary, characteristically, fell into a state of energetic detail orientation last night, packing everything just so, folding, purging stuff from Graham's drawers while he was still home (not a bad idea), organizing things in the rec room to load into the car this afternoon. There was little I could do to help.

While we were eating dinner, my phone buzzed to tell me I had gotten a text. I thought it would be a client apologizing for not getting back to me during the day. Instead, it was Nathan, telling me his daughter Dharma had made a carrot cake, that it was too much for the two of them together with the materfamilias, and might we like a little...

Flashback to the Farm some recent Sunday morning. Z and I were scheduled to play at 10. He was running a little late (payback, I'm usually the one running late). So I caught the early doubles crowd I used to play with as they were leaving. I said something to Nathan praising the carrot cake Dharma had made and brought to the end of season robotics party at our house. And I was not bullshitting, it is truly probably the best carrot cake I've ever had.

And then... the text last night. Nathan asked when I might be passing their way next. I figured that since Graham was leaving today, we'd better go get it so he could have some. And that's what we did. We were not disappointed.

No comments: