Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Everything everywhere all at once -- the movie

It is most unfortunate indeed that I used the title of this excellent movie to name my post from earlier this week. But what are you gonna do? Blog posts need names and sometimes you just have to use what floats to the forefront of your consciousness while it's there lest the moment be lost. At times I have thought of my blog as being akin to what the surrealists called "automatic writing," until I googled the phrase and it turns out it's not that at all. But it's nice to fancy that one has high end forebearers.


So anyhoo, on the plane from San Francisco to Atlanta the other night "Everything Everywhere All At Once" was available for viewing and -- since Delta now hands out free earbuds like candy -- I watched it.

It was great. Profoundly silly at times, to be sure, but a full on lark with a very innovative overall conceit and some excellent fight scenes. At the end, it was surprisingly moving. I found myself crying and trying to conceal it from the big rapper guy who was jammed into the middle seat between me and a woman as WASPy as I am. He was making a very considerate effort to scrunch up his shoulders and not take up all the space in our row.

In any case, three thumbs up on this movie. Everybody should watch it and it should be nominated for some prizes.

No comments: