Friday, October 17, 2008

Soccer in fall

Out on the soccer field today, with the leaves turning off on the edge of the field, was as close to being back in the glory days of high school as it gets. Except for the inflammation in my knee which made me slow and gimpy. Or the fact that I kept launching shots over the cross bar and the Chinese guys were totally making fun of me and I had to run shag the ball. One thing's for sure, it was a graphic reminder that being in tennis shape and being in soccer shape have almost nothing to do with one another.

Later, we started watching 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, yet another Rumanian new wave flick. I was hoping it would match the others that preceded it, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu and 12:30 West of Bucharest, but it doesn't. Or rather, it is good, in its hyper-naturalist way, it's just so tension-provoking it's hard to watch. We stopped just before the abortion scene, lacking the guts for all that pain and blood, but after the blonde friend has sex with the abortionist to make up for the fact that they're short on cash.

No comments: