Thursday, October 16, 2008

My new investment strategy

After years of investing like a buy-and-holder but spending my days like a day trader -- checking market status intraday by having Marketwatch as my home page and looking at it from time to time -- I have embarked upon an ambitious new program of intraday ignorance.

Yesterday someone mentioned at lunch that the Dow was down 400, but I can't be faulted for that. By day's end it was off 733, but I'm sure I was more productive by having stayed in the dark. Today, I rationalized and let myself check at 11ish, and it was down 300. I didn't check again till 4, and it was up 400.

I think I actually did get more work done, but in the last hour or so I have allowed myself a few blogs. In general, I know that it times of such volatility as we're having, ignorance is bliss.

No comments: