Sunday, May 14, 2023

Minor keys

I'm not exactly sure how it comes to pass that, thirty years and change after quitting drinking and decades into the enterprise of raising a pretty happy family, I continue to be captivated by these guys who basically drank or drugged themselves to death (Jason Molina, Townes Van Zandt, John Fahey). Undoubtedly it is somehow correlated with a strong tendency to focus on negative aspects of my own performance, like the other day when Adam and I were playing and I hit a couple of good volleys in succession but in each case immediately focused on what I could and should have done better. With movies and the like I have a strong preference for happy endings and comedy, as I have discussed before, but with music I listen to very little in major keys.




No comments: