Friday, May 26, 2023

College reunion

At my 35th college reunion. As usual, lots of interesting conversations, putting things in perspective. Had a solid talk over coffee with a guy I'd never met who had a long career in the intelligence world, presumably the CIA. He had the most informed, granular perspective on a wide range of things, including the relative economic trajectories of Zimbabwe and Zambia, Angola and Namibia... really smart, interesting guy. Made me sort of rue the fact that I had my head up my butt about national security when in college. Though the CIA has done some fucked up shit, no doubt.

Later, I talked to a guy I don't know that well who went to high school with a very close friend and who offered me a perspective on my friend's life arc and a sibling's role in it that made me kind of sad. That was unexpected. I'm still kind of processing it.

No comments: