Saturday, January 15, 2022

The Dream of the Second dissertation/doctorate

Last night, or in the period just before waking, I once more had the dream about my second dissertation/doctoral program. Somehow it seems there was something wrong with my first one, something vaguely shameful, and I was doing a second one, except I kind of avoided going by the department. Interestingly, this time Sandy Baker, who was certainly in my class at Phillips and the high school and maybe at Seawell too (?) was in my department. I was sheepishly kind of telling her about my situation late in the day when she was packing up to go home.


In the end, I woke up fairly early and ordered fresh bagels from Bruegger's so there'd be something exciting for everyone to start the morning with.

Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, today is the day that the last of Graham's college applications are due. Maybe the two dissertations are really about two children. As to the essays, there are four to submit, but really there's not that much work. We polished the essays for two of them yesterday evening after tennis (3-6, 6-1) and still had time to watch two episodes of Bosch before bed, which was awesome. So now we just have a couple of essays left to polish and have agreed that we'll get one if not both out the door before lunch.

I must say that I am learning a fair amount -- at least I hope I am -- about management just through working with Graham on this project. His energy ebbs and flows as he works through this alongside a really demanding semester (6 AP courses, all of them) under tough conditions. I'm learning when to nudge and when to back the fuck off. Not always perfectly. The lessons are really similar to what I was learning when riding shotgun with him as he got his 60 hours of driving practice with one of us (almost always me) in the car.

For today, once it's all done, Graham gets to pick from the entire universe of takeout options for dinner tonight. I have money on a pad thai from somewhere, but maybe he'll surprise me.

No comments: