Sunday, January 30, 2022

Lazy Sunday?

As I believe I have shared in the past, I have settled on Saturday as my personal sabbath because it is easier to shut in the demands of the world on Saturdays, compared to Sundays when all the things I feel like I'm supposed to do -- which is all too coterminous with the the things I could do -- come rushing in on me. For example, today I tried sitting in the armchair in our bedroom to differentiate my groove from that of a weekday -- when I end up in the armchair in my study at around 8:15 or 8:30 and check my phone and computer for messages and the day's futures. 

But sitting on this side of the house means I look down at the lake, so I start thinking about lake stuff. Like, for example, how the engineer who certifies our dam told me that I should "observe the dam under different conditions." This winter, unlike last winter, has featured more cold weather and therefore -- potentially at least -- freeze/thaw cycles. As any long-term reader of the blog will be aware, our dam -- built in 1938 with help from the WPA -- comprises stone held together by concrete mortar which, over the course of decades -- has developed cracks which allow water to seep through. While this is absolutely normal for a dam of this sort, one thing it is not is comforting, especially as the population density downstream from our 50 acre lake has probably increased by a factor of not less that 50 in the intervening 8 decades and change. And freeze/thaw cycles, of course, do not strengthen masonry dams with cracks in them, though I have no idea of the time frame or trajectory over which the dam gets weaker. At any rate, I should go down and check it out.

I also need to get some more firewood from our neighbor Scott (for which I need to wait till Graham comes back from robotics to help build the boy's dadgummed upper body), recaulk our shower stall -- especially because Mary spend a lot of time cleaning it on Friday evening, do taxes and create 1099s for a small LLC Mary has with her friends for a book project, make some phone calls for LFA stuff, send some emails to sell Mary's book... I'm exhausted already. In any case, it's almost lunchtime.


 

No comments: