Friday, October 01, 2021

Old Guys in front of Whole Foods

Because of the long walk from the new parking lot to my desk -- going around the construction site for a new building -- in recent weeks/months I've been picking up a sandwich from Whole Foods many days. Of course I should be making one at home, but that would call for too much coordination and planning. It just hasn't been happening.


Because this always happens after my morning routine and a first round of emails and organization for the day, this happens somewhere in the mid-morning period. Out in front I've seen a group of older guys gathering to drink coffee, which reminds me of the mythical group of old guys sitting in the back of a country store drinking coffee. Probably something that was just a scene in an homage-to-America Pepsi commercial somewhere, though I know this happens in fast food places out in the country.

Why these things happen in a gender-segregated way I don't know. I invited a woman to a lunch group of guys a couple of times and it threw things off a little bit. I think mixing genders brings in more rules and niceties.

No comments: