Friday, October 29, 2021

Death in Life (if this were the 80s or I was in college I would add "Life in Death")

Called Marvin yesterday to let him know that David Young had died. Rob had called him the day before. We also talked about Kelvin's recent cancer update, which was not encouraging from the cancer perspective but very encouraging from the Kelvin perspective because the man has gotten to that place -- as many cancer survivors do -- of understanding that while cancer is well beyond his control, his attitude is not, and he is resolute in embracing the life he has.

I have a ton of stuff to do today but this reminded me that I needed to get by Durham to visit with my cousin Neva and her husband Tim, who is himself fighting off some type of leukemia and got a bone marrow transplant a month or so back. They too are rocking the attitude thing.

Meanwhile, I am on day 2 of colonoscopy prep, the longest colonoscopy prep the internet has ever seen (6 days of limited diet!). It is pretty odd because I am not supposed to have so many vegetables or nuts or even whole wheat bread, much of which is stuff that doesn't come to me organically but is now very much a part of my life -- thanks to the decades'-long efforts of our house's Chief Health Officer (hint: it ain't me). I am forced to eat like a middle American. So far I am surviving but it is a significant shift, to be sure. Honestly I'll be glad to get back to the normal regime.

No comments: