Saturday, October 16, 2021

Slipping it in

A friend of mine suggested I talk to the Executive Director of a local arts organization about its strategic plan, with the rationale that I am "good at these kinds of conversations." I'll go talk to the guy this week.

But I'll need to tell him that I am quasi-Scroogean about art. It's not as if I'm always poised to reach for my revolver, but I also don't have loopy-eyed romantic visions of the civic virtue of people doing pottery.

I do think there is room for the guy to work on putting butts in seats by programming fare that people will come and see, and that he could be creative about it. Honestly I think he should try to bring in people from a broad range of walks of life (public servants, executives, athletes, chefs, entrepreneurs etc.) to talk about the complexity of what they do. Maybe with questions from the audience.

I think the Monte has been a huge success. 

No comments: