Monday, September 13, 2021

Vroom goes September

Quietly, imperceptibly, my world is accelerating into the new season. First off, we got the house, driveway, patio, and roof power washed on Friday. This has been a long time coming, as I'm sure I must have scribed, and there have been times I have looked at it: the green creeping along the decking, the dark splotches in the driveway and patio, all of that on top of the stuff on the roof, and I've thought that I let it go too long and that I had permanently marred our property through neglect. And in the very darkest recesses of my brain, I must say that I partially blamed Mary and her reactive and blanket resistance to the use of "toxic chemicals" on the property out of concern for her own plants but also general ecological reasons. Another bad example of marital dynamics, blaming Mary for my own inaction, whatever. Failure to properly talk things through and generally to maintain productive dialogue.

Then there's Graham's college application. We are coming up hard against some deadlines for the UNC application on October 15. Praise the Lord Kristin Hiemstra let us know she was getting back in the business of shepherding kids.

And of course the lake, and the markets, and upcoming tax law changes, and clients, and social stuff (when Mary saw how nice the screened in porch looked after the power washing, she immediately said: "Oh my gosh we need to entertain while it looks good [and while the weather remains warm, of course]."

Anyhoo, all good. Just a lot moving on a lot of fronts.

No comments: