Saturday, September 18, 2021

Attention whoring

Thought back again to Lucy's comment about how the volume of my writing did not make her want to read what I had written. Which really takes me back to the perennial challenge of who I am writing for. Is it for you, fair reader, or for me, myself and I. At the end of the day it's for the latter, that Most Holy Trinity. So that -- in the future -- I can look back and see where I was at any given point in time.


And it's also for the sheer pleasure of the text, my text, biatches. All mine. For the fluency of rolling things off my fingers at a moment's notice, just because.

Though I must admit, I keep some general track of my traffic, because we are all attention whores, and the internet has given us ever more ways to keep track of how much attention we're getting. Friends, page impressions, likes, comments, etc. So many ways to win or lose, it counts them for us, and it is hard not to track them.

But the mantras of the "business development" world remain true in essence, and they are the same as in athletics: activity metrics. If you do the work, it pays off in time. Build it and they will come. (insert penis enlargement joke here). So I write on. Right on.

No comments: