Friday, September 03, 2021

Grinding and easing round the bend

Of late I've been having a little trouble getting up with my alarm. It's a mix of exhaustion from the travel, the lack of a proper vacation for a couple of years, and the general senselessness of the winding on of the pandemic. But all I have to do is look at a headline and see images of cars under water and people in refugee camps and I'm reminded of how very good we have it.

But I remember talking to a client a few weeks into COVID about how her teenage and young adult children were getting tired of that argument, Even I am, admittedly. Shit, I might have already written about being sick of it, so you might be getting sick of reading about it.

The problem is, it all remains true. We are fortunate. And little by little, things keep getting better around my house. Sometime next week the shades for my office should be delivered, so I'll be ready for autumn when the leaves fall off the trees and I won't be blinded at my desk by light coming in from the east, and I won't have to shroud my monitor in flannel shirts and don a baseball cap at a rakish angle. Also next week, a guy promises to come by to power wash both our house (including driveway, patio, and deck) and our metal roof. We'll see how much grime comes off. The last big thing I'll have to look forward to is the arrival of the new couch for my study, originally anticipated in July. Then I will be all good.

No comments: