Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The little things

When working at home, one of the steps of getting started with the day is making my bed. Perforce, I have to wait till Mary gets up, which is a little later than me. It's not because I work in the bedroom. Really it's just because.

So I was in there making the bed today and I looked over at the reading chair over by the window facing out towards the lake. With the leaves back on the trees, it is shadier than ever, which makes it a poor place to sit and read in the afternoon for lack of a lamp. There's a lamp on the desk in front of it, the desk Natalie used as her work station through the deepest months of lockdown, but that lamp sucks. I tried to get Graham involved in rewiring it -- obviously not my bag -- but he had no interest. Which is why I really don't think he's an engineer at heart.

In any case, the reading chair needed a lamp. Conveniently, there was a standing lamp in my office not being used as a standing lamp. I will spare you the description of what it was being used for (probably elsewhere on the blog, in any case). I brought it into the bedroom, took the lightbulb out of the broken lamp on the desk, got the shade for the standing lamp from the top of the old filing cabinet, put it all together and turned it on. It works!

Problem solved. I am very excited by this. Another place to sit and read late in the day and at night. Admittedly, the chair is 26 years old and needs to be replaced, and Mary will start to hate the standing lamp soon enough. But the wheels are in motion....

Leaving town this weekend and am a little sad about it after such a meaningful and affordable upgrade to the old living space.

No comments: