Wednesday, May 05, 2021

Resisting the tug of the day

My morning reading and task routine is pretty extensive. I think I have laid it out for you before, I won't bore you with it again. In general its burden and intent are to keep me focused for as long as possible on matters general, common and long-term -- before being pulled down into the thicket of specific implementation details for individual clients. 


I nonetheless have a practice of checking email and texts on my phone at around 8:30, and also the stock futures, just in case there's something pressing that needs quick attention. Usually there is not.

But in actual fact there is no conflict between these two, the general and the specific. Rather, I'm trying to take in wisdom from varying sources -- right now ranging from Psalms to Bezos' annual letters -- to apply to specific client needs. And in the short term it is all about the specifics, and that's where the real joy is.

Yesterday I was helping out an 18-year old zero fee client (child of another client) who had a problem with a small deposit. She also wants to take a gap year and go abroad next year, so I'm gonna put her in touch with a friend in Spain, someone I met when I was 15. Very long shot. I love this shit.

But I also need to take the time to read up on some deep in the weeds tax stuff and to counsel a client about changes in tax structure that are coming on just as he starts to earn big money. This is the fun stuff, the warp and woof.

No comments: