Thursday, May 13, 2021

Preparing for liftoff and a proper accounting

Flying to NYC on Sunday on my way to pick up Natalie from college and road trip home. Frankly I'm only mildly excited about leaving home. I was just in DC and PA in March, what's the rush? Though I'm psyched to see her and others as well.


One conversation I look forward to having is with my niece Sadie in Queens. At one of our low points of the pandemic, on a Christmas family Zoom call we reacted poorly and unsupportively when Sadie was telling us of her alternative route through high school and into acting school. Our stick in the mud by the book belief in a standard academic path through life reared the ugliest parts of his head, and we apparently sat their aghast in a way that freaked her out and made her cry once the call was done. Not a good Christmas present at all.

It is sometimes hard for all of us to believe that there are paths through life other than the ones we have trod ourselves, and I think being the one of the deepest moments of the pandemic probably made that even worse. So I will apologize to her again in person, even though we already did it on the phone.  

No comments: