Sunday, April 11, 2021

Putting myself at risk

When at home, I spend a lot of time upstairs in one of two armchairs: one in my study, one in the bedroom. Really it depends on time of day and where the sun is, and whether I am reading a book or working on a laptop, which determines what kind of light I need.

But it does work out to me being up in a lair, away from Graham and Mary. This morning I decided to break the cycle of isolation and sit downstairs on the couch for longer to be less antisocial.

The problem was that I thereby put myself in harm's way. Mary is working under a tight deadline. I had done some editing work on her upcoming book yesterday, but I missed a couple of things and she wants me to do more. I was sitting on the couch and she started asking me questions: should I do this or that? And so on. So if I am in the same room, I am basically easily draftable at a moment's notice, whereas if I am upstairs and somebody needs something from me they have to make more of an effort to ask for help.

Still, I think it's good on balance to try to isolate less.

No comments: