Sunday, April 25, 2021

Lassitude

It was mild and breezy today, so I went for my second ride of the season, about 22 miles, out along Dairyland to Maple View then back, adding in a small loop. At this point in time, I'm not really feeling a whole ton of get up and go, but I don't have the delicious tiredness that I sought.


Truth be told, I'm mildly disquieted by Natalie's not having figured out her housing situation for the summer. She will be running a camp for housing-insecure children down near Silicon Valley. Little wonder that she's going to have to pay a non-trivial premium for housing of her own, given that it's in one of the most expensive places to live in the country. I've been trying to help out, pinging people, working the phones, but I've wrought no miracles, and wrangling with hosts on Airbnb has brought her mostly heartache thus far.

We could probably swoop in and buy her out of this mess by just paying up, but it's kind of an important moment for her to come to grips with what things actually cost out there in the world. I was listening to a podcast not long ago in which this woman who works with very wealthy families saying that one thing she's seen in decades of experience is that the families who let kids figure things out for themselves and learn to stand on their own two feet end up having the healthiest kids. Having parents swoop in to fix everything isn't really good for the younger ones. I have to keep telling myself that.

No comments: