Monday, January 17, 2005

Undercelebrated

Ahhh, MLKJ day, the most undercelebrated of all holidays. We too are guilty, though we did do some jogging around in Natalie's new sneakers with the flashing red lights. Takes me back to MLKJ days of yore, like the time I tried to call a party the same day when I was living in that freezing house outside of Chapel Hill and nobody at all showed up, despite the fact that I made some epic recordings by overdubbing my classical guitar to some fine percussive effects I got by banging my bass against the coal stove. Or MLKJ day of 1990, must have been, when I went onstage at Cats Cradle and pretended to be imitating Morrissey doing a tribute cover of Public Enemy's "Louder than a Bomb." It made a lot of sense, lyrically. Think of Morrissey singing this:

In my home,
I got a call from Tony Rone,
The FBI was tapping my telephone,
I never live alone, I never walk alone,
My posse's always ready and they're waiting in my zone.

Yes, that was a fine moment in MLKJ day history. May James Earl Ray burn in hell, right next to Ashcroft.

No comments: