Thursday, January 20, 2005

Mixed bag with a dream

I looked through recent posts and saw that I had twice held forth on Graham's attempts to master speech. Very similar posts. I guess you can see we're sort of fixated on this. I guess also that it's not unusual to see topics get revisited on my blog. It's like hanging out with me in written form, so I'm gonna repeat myself.

Had brussel sprouts for dinner tonight. Somebody in Karla Cook's vegetable coop snagged them at the Trenton Farmer's market. I'm not a big fan, but I pretended to like em because Natalie was watching. I wonder how prevalent this is, adults not actually liking individual vegetables but feigning pleasure because we're trying to indoctrinate our kids. I never really trusted my parents when they made all those "mmmmmm..." noises while eating vegetables, although it was down South so there could have been a lot of butter on there. I mean, there are some vegetables that are good, but very few of them are good at all without adding fat and/or something in the garlic/onion family. Honestly.

Had a dream the other night in which I went to a used car lot where my old Volvo was on sale for $800. The catalytic converter had been fixed, and it appeared to have been detailed. The engine sounded good, and it drove well. I was conflicted, despite the fact that my newer Volvo is swankier, perkier, and has a CD player. But it lacks those classic Volvo good looks and the general air with academic disdain. I suspect this was an inverted midlife crisis dream, where my subconscious pretends want the boxier, frumpier car because it's in denial.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

I too had a Volvo with the boxy, but good design which, to this day, I still remember lovingly. Even my brand new, sleek car cannot compete with my memories of tooling around in my 0 to 60 in 5 minutes silver 240.