Wednesday, January 12, 2005

More and Morrissey

(incidentally, is anyone else getting sick of the stupid puns I use as titles for the days blog? They're just as bad as the ones on the daily PlanSponsor.com email, yet I can't stop myself!)

Some kind family member gave The Smiths album Rank, an OK live record. I thought I had all The Smiths studio work, but I guess not because there on songs on this record I don't know (B-sides?). In any case, a new Smiths song is often a breath of fresh air. Stephin Merritt had it right when, reviewing a Morrissey show in the Times, he said that the songwriter suffered from association with lame studio musicians. The Smiths hit on multiple cylinders, so it's worth having their records around for more than just homophobe baiting.

No no, Morrissey is the most singalongable of all. Nothing beats cranking up the car stereo and really belting it out with the guy, pure catharsis. You have to really breath and think about what you're doing to keep up. The challenge would be to get up and sing like that not in a car, but in front of people, really let loose. I remember when Jeff, the guy who owns Print Space on 21st st, had a New Year's Party back in the 90s in the lab with a Karaoke machine, and he just kept getting up there, taking the mike and singing his heart out. It was something to see cut loose like that, and it's hard to imagine letting down ones guard like that it without alcohol.

No comments: