Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Belated Barbenheimer

The weekend before last Mary and I finally caught up with the rest of the world and watched Barbie followed by Oppenheimer. I came out preferring Barbie, though each of them could have easily been cut by 20-30 minutes and nobody would have left feeling ripped off. In fact, the theater owners would have made more money. It is a sad fact that directors these days feel like a topic has been ennobled, when in fact all they are doing is pissing me off.

Barbie was in the end fun and clever with some great deets. Oppenheimer fairly ground the classic theme of genius/madness/autism into a very fine pulp. Then stomped on it a couple of times for good measure. Matt Damon was good, as always.

Mary and I would do ourselves some good socially if we went and watched these things at the same time as everyone else. Then we could participate in discussions at parties and whatnot. But we are an ornery pair and prefer to wait until they can be rented cheaply on a streaming platform which can pay me some money if it wants me to name it.

No comments: