Tuesday, March 26, 2024

A banner day

Yesterday was a super happy day in our home. After running a disciplined process of finding and following up on leads for summer internships, Graham got an offer from the Carolina Population Center up on campus to work this summer. It's perfect. 40 hours, working on site, getting some exposure to using Stata (some software that economists use a lot), for 8 weeks. Which means he gets some real job experience, learns to work with others, is supervised by someone other than me, has some time off before and after the job starts to maybe travel a little but certainly to sleep in some. And for all this they'll even be paying him some money.

It's awesome. I was such an idiot about this kind of thing when I was his age. My stated position at the time was that having a realish job like this would be soul-sucking and... I don't even know what I thought. Really it was just pigheaded stupidity, laser focus on academics because that's all I knew about, and fear of doing something different. Much better than Graham should learn to work in normal office to see that it's OK and that you can learn stuff while doing so.

Go Graham!

No comments: