Thursday, March 14, 2024

Doctor Zhivago

From our running list of potential shows and programs to watch, Graham selected Doctor Zhivago, which I had put on there some time ago after he had shown an interest in the Zhang Limou-Gong Li series of historical Chinese movies from the 90s. I think he had seen Farewell My Concubine. Really the old David Lean epics are their own thing.


Of course it lost a lot by being viewed on the small screen, and is a little overwrought by contemporary standards, but it nevertheless remains a worthy classic, and I'm glad Graham chose it for some spring break viewing. More than anything, the unironic forthrightness and earnestness of the characters -- the absence of snark -- takes one back. We've come a long way from that and it's good both to be reminded that it was once an ideal and for kids to be exposed to it.

Personally, I was surprised to see just how well the three potential suitors (Komarovsky-Zhivago-Antipov/Strelnikov) and their treatment of Lara, the Julie Christie lead character, fits into the schematics of my dissertation. I can't recall if I thought about it at the time and rejected it or (more likely) was just too lazy to read the book.

Speaking of, I really need to read more Russian. Maybe a Chekhov story. But now it's time to grind out a little Japanese on DuoLingo before getting to work.

No comments: