Friday, January 19, 2024

Pushing back on self love

Somewhere in my consumption of content the story of Gladys McGarey flashed across my field of vision. She's a 103-year old doctor who is still working. Intrigued, and with a lot of Audible credits to burn through, I snagged her book and started listening to it in the car.

Turns out McGarey was one of the earliest practitioners of holistic medicine, so I've been hearing a lot about that. One of the things she advocates is the power of love and, specifically, self-love. She instructs listeners to do things like hug themselves.

My interest was flagging a little bit and I started listening to another podcast (The Vital Center by Geoff Kabaservice, a guy I went to college with who literally wrote the book about moderate Republicans and is probably as close to the purest-bred RINO that Trump et al could imagine. Really a smart guy) which is interesting, but then I realized that my problem with McGarey's book is not so much that I was bored with it but that I was resisting it. There's a lot of truth in there but not the kind of truth the grinder in me predisposes himself towards. So I've gone back to listening to this joyful old doctor and reflecting on how it might apply to my life. 

No comments: