Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Me and my big mouth

When Thomas came and built us built in bookshelves in the rec room downstairs before our event for Josh back in December, we had to fill them with something, so we harvested a great number of books from the overflow of the shelves in Graham and Natalie's rooms. When they were trimmed down, we went to the only place left, the shelves in my office. So now I have a lot of unsightly empty shelves up here, which is dispiriting and, frankly, a little embarrassing. Really there's onlm one solution to this conundrum and it's rather obvious. I need to buy more. I picked up a few at Flyleaf on Friday, but that really only nibbled around the edges of the problem.


So when Mary complained about the boredom of running around the lake every day -- which I understand -- I saw an opening and suggested that maybe we should break out and go for a hike down at the White Pines Preserve down between Pittsboro and Sanford. I also wanted to take a quick gander at the progress of Chatham Park and, obviously most importantly, stop into Circle City Books in Pittsboro, far and away the best used book store on our end of the Triangle. I was able to pop through and snap up eight solid books in about 15-20 minutes, several of which were on my Amazon list (thanks for providing us with such great list functionality, Jeff!), one of which was an impulse buy at the register, a book on Bill Gross of PIMCO which I can mentally characterize as work.

And now there they are, gleaming on my bookshelf, calling out for attention (actually I am making my way through Ted Chiang's Exhalation, which I had found on Natalie's shelves). Problem is, I absolutely, unequivocally promised that I would caulk the upstairs shower this weekend. We even stopped at Lowe's last night to pick up the supplies. I fear there is no escaping this.

(Monday update: somehow I had neglected to publish this. The caulking is 95% done. Turns out getting "all the old caulk" off, as everyone says you should, is practically impossible. Caulk removal is very much a Pareto process, and the last 20% is a vexing challenge)/


No comments: