Thursday, June 29, 2023

The Process

Reflecting further on the "right way or wrong way to read the Bible" question, it seems to me that the key thing is to trust my process, which is what it is.


This morning my alarm went off at a not particularly early time, as it does every day. I got up, peed, and got back in bed, yielding to the siren song of the suggestion of more sleep. 15 minutes later I realized I would be upset with myself if I slept in because I like the early morning time so well, so I hauled myself out and got into my groove, which I have described to you in the past before.

Of late, in preparation for our upcoming trip to France and Spain, I've been incorporating some French practice on Duolingo into my routine. The New Yorker had not long ago published a piece about Duolingo touting its AI features which let it adjust its pace and presentation for learners. If this is the AI that's gonna steal all our jobs, thus far I'm unimpressed. It has failed to accelerate me more quickly through the lessons as it sees how well I've been doing. But it has begun to sucker me into its gamification features, for example its "leaderboard" of people who've earned the most gold stars. Somewhere it got the memo that I am a bit of a sucker for that shit. I reckon we all are. 

No comments: