Sunday, June 04, 2023

Don't blink

It was a very full weekend, what with David visiting from Marin County and all. I hadn't anticipated just how jacked up he'd be to play tennis, but of course he was, what was I thinking. So we were out on court promptly at 9:30 both Saturday and Sunday. We also had a full culinary tour of southern treats: Bullocks, Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen, Time Out (for some chicken) and even some Asian noodles from my wok. Also a walk out to the old Occoneechee Speedway. 

As we were traipsing around I noticed a number of changes: new apartment buildings going up in Durham (what else is new), the new one on Rosemary Street in Chapel Hill moving forward. I was sad to learn that Deli Edison has permanently closed. That is a true loss to our neighborhood. They made the very best bacon, egg and cheese ever, what with the house-cured bacon.

To top it all off, Mike and Ian came by late in the day Sunday with a chainsaw and mauls to chop up this old oak tree that Duke Power had taken down in our neighbor's yard to protect a power line. So I had to get out my brand spanking new shiny maul to chop up some wood.

By now I am of course plumb tuckered. Thankfully we have enough leftovers to make dinner and Graham is out at a movie with friends. So we are living the empty nester dream here at the crib. It's all I can do to peck out this very narrative post.

Ahh yes, lest I forget. I awoke this morning with one of those pre-waking dreams that seems oh so real. In this one, someone had told me that 50,000 people had been in the park behind our house in connection with high school graduation. That would be a lot. But it was just a dream.

No comments: