Thursday, June 08, 2023

More data more crazy

We are in wind up mode for our trip to Alaska tomorrow. Excited to be met at the airport in Detroit by Mary's very bestest friend forever Kate, who will be bringing sandwiches from Zingerman's, something I haven't had since she did the same thing when we flew through there back in... 1996?

More immediately I am of course overly consumed with the fine points of getting to our flight. As has been my more recent habit, I have pre-booked parking at RDU, but this time I booked at the offsite Parking 3 lot. Not so much because I doubt in principle that a reserved spot in the deck would be there, but because even if the spot exists when the lot is 93% full (as it was at 7:30 this morning) it can be difficult, time-consuming and anxiety-provoking to find the spot. The offsite lot is less full and filled up less overnight. I know this because, you see, you can now get updates on how full all the RDU parking lots are online and the data refreshes more or less hourly. We also now have TSA Pre-check. There's also an app that tells you how long lines are at RDU checkpoints and one can of course check the real time traffic data on Google. I've done all those things this morning to calculate when we'll need to leave tomorrow, all by way of guiding expectations with Mary and Graham -- each of them late risers -- as to when we'll need to wake up and leave tomorrow.

We could of course have just Lyfted to the airport or had my mom drive us, but Mary was a little concerned about cab/Lyft availability when she and Graham get back at 6 am Tuesday after next. 

Over the years I have, sad to say, become ever more the prisoner of all of these numbers, as I've told you before. Ultimately I have to just aggregate as many numbers as I can and move on/let go. The day ends and I play tennis and watch TV, perhaps strum a song on my guitar.

No comments: