Thursday, June 22, 2023

No shock of the new

I've been in Seattle for a few days now. It's a fine and pleasant place, but one I've been to for a number of years now so the novelty has long since worn off. For the first couple of days I stayed in an Airbnb in Queen Anne and the view was so good (see below) and the weather so uninspiring that I mostly stayed in and worked.


After my day one I walked all the way through town to Beacon Hill in South Seattle to have dinner with Jon Gould and then hang out at his house with his wife Tamara. The center of Seattle seemed to be less overrun by people with mental health issues and substance use disorders than it had been a couple of years ago, but when I walked up over the ridge towards South Seattle it seemed more like the challenged population had been more or less swept out of the center towards the edges of town.

Like most downtowns, Seattle's is still underutilized post pandemic. A number of storefronts are still boarded up, parking lots were improbably empty on a weekday at 4:30. But none of this is really news.

No comments: