Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Old goals

Over the last year I've made qualified progress on some old, extremely long-deferred goals: I've started reading the Bible and also doing yoga. 

As I've mentioned before, I've been reading the Bible from the beginning. Out in Seattle with Mark -- himself a serial religious enthusiast (used to have a blog on Buddhism and medicine, bar mitzvahed around 52, soon to be confirmed in the Catholic Church...) -- argued that I was reading the Bible the wrong way if I was looking to be inspired, that the Bible was not meant to be read that way. But I guess the fact is that when I read religiousesque texts, I'm not necessarily looking to be inspired. I seek, rather, to have my inspiration earned. Perhaps I do hold the religious tradition in which my parents (my mom, at least) quasi-raised me to different standards than I do other traditions, but oh well. One must have standards.

On the yoga side I've now gone to four classes, on top of having stretched along with "Yoga with Adriene" two or three times back during the pandemic. I guess I should probably try to go for a second session a week, maybe fold a little Adriene in somewhere between the tennis.

At this pace of going after long deferred goals, sooner or later I am going to actually break down and Joyce's Ulysses and also go to the Carolina Godiva track club to do some time trials on the track (200, 400, 800, maybe even the mile). Then I will finally travel to Georgia (ex Soviet Georgia) and Japan. Perhaps in the same trip, since Georgia's on the way to Japan.


No comments: