Friday, February 25, 2022

The promise

I was on the phone just now with a young woman, most likely of more recent African descent judging by her voice, helping her think through how much to save into her 401k and how much to pay down student loans. She had taught in Charlotte and gone to grad school in NC before moving back to Alabama, our loss, their gain.

As I was on the phone I heard texts coming in. Turns out they were parents who will be driving down to Charlotte with me on Sunday for a robotics thing. The teacher organizing the trip has a German/Slavic name, the parents are from East and South Asia.

Which makes me ponder what's going on across the sea and how I feel like I am fundamentally in the right place, however stupid, ham-handed and hypocritical our foreign and domestic policy may be. At its best America genuinely tries to acknowledge its faults and strive to be better over time and maintain first amendment rights so that people can haul us out and criticize us when we fail, time and time again. Democracy is better than the alternative.

No comments: