Monday, February 14, 2022

Green Maserati

As I was walking to the memorial service at the Georgetown Presbyterian Church (nice but far from gaudy, as one would expect) from my cheapish hotel near GWU I was passed by a guy slowly circling the cobblestoned blocks looking for a place to park. He was driving a car painted a color green I had never seen on a car. Not the deep racing green of the old Triumphs and Jaguars of the 60s-70s. Not a loud tacky lime green like you sometimes see on Dodge Chargers or Mitsubishi tuners. No, this was like the green of a healthy deciduous tree or bush. To make matters more astounding, the car was a four door Maserati, with its comely low growl.

Now, as I have shared in the past, the Maserati sedan is the luxury car for which I have the softest spot. Not soft enough, mind you. But they intrigue me. But a custom green paint job? (I confirmed that this isn't a stock color. Of course not. Italians have never painted cars green) Who goes out and gets that? In retrospect, I kind of would have like to talk to the guy behind the wheel -- and of course it was a guy. Who goes out and buys the most demure, understated performance machine on the planet and then paints it a color never before seen on a car? OK. Maybe I've seen something like this on an older Volvo. But that's exactly the point.


No comments: