Saturday, November 06, 2021

The passing of seasons

As I had likely shared sometime back, the couch that we ordered in March that had been promised for mid-summer had it's delivery pushed back first to early November, then to February, because of various supply chain issues. Since I had lived my whole life without it, I wasn't sweating it too hard. Then the other night an email arrived informing us that it was ready for delivery. Now I have to make space for it here in my study. 

Around the same time, we received word that four hundred copies of Mary's book will arrive within weeks from Kehrer Verlag. It is in fact available now for purchase in Europe, but don't you dare buy it from there because we will need to get rid of those books for the low low price of $48. Here's what it looks like

What all this means is that we will have a lot of new stuff upstairs here at the crib, which means we are going to need to pare down  some of our possessions. With any luck, this will spur Mary to help me figure out where we should hang some of this copious art we have just gathering dust in the corners of our bedroom.

In other news, I received word yesterday that Townie Ludington had passed away. His health had been tenuous throughout the year. In the end his death was pretty peaceful. He went to sleep and didn't wake up his second morning in hospice, something like that. He had been out and about as recently as John Pringle's service a couple of weeks back. I never knew Townie all that well but I very well remember that he was my first soccer coach back in '72-'73, whenever it was that we took up Rainbow Soccer. Ironically, I remember that I was stuck at left halfback back then, which didn't seem like a marquis place to be in the lineup but he must have somehow seen (I can't imagine how) that I wasn't going to be a Ronaldo or a Drogba. So even then I sensed that I was not in a central role and would need to earn my place at the table. Though I had no fucking clue how.

But it wasn't his fault. Townie was a nice guy.

No comments: