Monday, November 01, 2021

Easing the way forward

Yesterday there was an article about Mark Carney -- former central banker of the UK and of Canada (separate jobs) -- in the Journal. I knew who he was, of course, but what I didn't realize was that he was my age, that he went to Harvard, that he also came from the provinces (way northern Canada), and even that he has somewhat ad taste in music (Nick Cave, but also Taylor Swift -- he must have a daughter). Of course, that makes me look at him and compare myself to him and consider myself mildly wanting.

Which is why it is probably merciful that Graham is unlikely to end up in one of those institutions that encourage this kind of self-flagellating thinking. It's probably much more healthy to go to a place which doesn't set you up with impossible expectations and "peers" that make you feel less than. I hope only that Natalie can steer clear of this curse.

No comments: