Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Prepping for the day

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and Natalie's boyfriend Stuart is due to arrive at RDU around 4 pm. We'll see if he actually makes it then. Whenever he does, we'll be psyched. If I didn't already write about it, Mary met him at the canceled Family Weekend at Yale in October and was super-psyched about it, she says he's a wonderful guy.

This week, being totally exhausted, I am indulging myself in the holiday spirit by not setting an alarm at all. I am just sleeping in. After eight most days thus far. Honestly I could use more actual straight-up vacation but I have client meetings next week to prep for and other stuff to (CRM migration, LFA General Meeting on 12/6) so I am working short days except for Thanksgiving itself. But I am luxuriating in my new couch and shades.

Natalie continues to astound me with her ability to read vast quantities. When she got home she picked up Stephen Johnson's Emergence, a pretty dry book of non-fiction that I had read maybe 100 pages of, and went through more than half of it pretty quickly. She said "maybe I should read more science fiction," so I got Graham to pull down his copy of Cixin Liu's The Three Body Problem. She looks to be close to half the way through the 400-ish page book in less than a day. She will continue to go far.

Graham had a good interview with a Tufts alumnus yesterday. We are crossing our fingers that all goes well there, obviously.

Went and got bagels from Bruegger's this morning. As there so often is, there was a line out the door. There were a few white people exercising their freedom to not wear masks. Interestingly, the oldest of them a guy surely in his 70s, ordered a whole wheat bagel. Because of his health-consciousness, clearly.

No comments: