Monday, November 15, 2021

A day off at the office

After a weekend with house guest and also a dinner party -- admittedly many of my absolute favorite people on the planet but nonetheless a lot of cooking and prepping -- followed by an afternoon fundraiser on Sunday (not at my house), I am delighted that today I can just go to the office and work. And listen to my book in the car.

Yesterday evening I was not at my best. I had really been hoping to watch the last episode of season 3 of Bosch with Graham on the new couch, but Graham had not gotten his homework done and then dinner got started late and ran late because nobody was watching the clock, so it was too late for him to watch. So I got a little grumpy, but no worse than that.

Graham had a good weekend at the chess center in Morrisville but then a disappointing showing in a Quiz Bowl tournament on Sunday when his superstar team mate didn't show up and he learned how much he leaned on the other guy in that competition. I'm sure Graham could be a Quiz Bowl star too (particularly if they asked about US political history -- to judge by what he showed us last night at the dinner table) if he applied himself to it assiduously, but he works under the same 24/7 constraint as the rest of us and has never really needed to expand his Quiz Bowl range. At this point in time it's probably not the best place for him to allocate time and attention.

No comments: