Friday, March 28, 2008

Leaving the little guys behind

Marketwatch today reported on how many people fleeing homes and mortgages are leaving behind pets: dogs, cats, you name it. This took me back to the good old days in Moscow, where it was the habit of folks to leave animals behind in the city when they went to the country to their dachas in the summer. I know, it doesn't make sense, you'd think the animals would be happy and useful in the country side, but maybe they wouldn't let them on trains, whatever.

In any case, what you'd end up with was packs of wild dogs, roaming the streets. And yes, some of them became rapid. And yes, they were also pretty pathetic and and liked to be fed. And there are specific classes of rubber-tear gas bulletspouting sawed off handguns that experts consider optimal for deterring packs of wild dogs. I kid you not.

One of these days, if I get enough energy, I will tell you the tale of the one we called devushka.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do the abandoned pooches become more rapid? A homeless dog fitness program? Did they get into the enhancement cream hastily left by the Moscow multitudes?

Cleric Mikhailovich de Troi said...

My bad. Clearly I meant "rabid". So shoot me.